“Through camaraderie and dedication…a legacy of excellence."
Current News & Information
Good luck to all students participating in the Full Orchestra UIL Concert & Sightreading this week!
Performance time is 1:45pm at the new Austin ISD Performing Arts Center.
Parents and supporters are welcome and encouraged to attend.
A detailed schedule for all participants will be distributed Monday.
Please check the Calendar page often for updated sectional schedules.
Wind Symphony Flutes - Please note that you now have a sectional on Friday from 4:30pm to 7:30pm.
The Guard contest in Rouse has been delayed.
Guard students should arrive at the band hall no later than 10:00am.
- 12:04pm - JV Performance
- 1:42pm - Varsity Performance
Good luck to both guards as they compete!
Due to weather related transportation issues, the Indoor Drumline WILL NOT be travelling to San Antonio to compete tomorrow.
All percussionists are expected to attend their band’s clinic with Mr. Benzer. Wind Symphony will need to attend the sectional as well from 12:00pm to 2:30pm.
Here is the schedule for today’s Wind Symphony & Full Orchestra performance today:
- 4:30pm to 4:45pm - Run of African American Performance (Akins Auditorium) - Please be seated and warmed up by 4:30pm.
- 4:45pm to 6:00pm - Full Orchestra Rehearsal (Band Hall) - Those not in Full Orchestra are free until 6:00pm.
- 6:30pm to 6:45pm - African American Hertitage Celebration Performance
Two performances are coming up this week. Please come enjoy some great music!
- Akins High School Full Orchestra Pre-UIL Concert
- Wednesday, February 25th at 7:00pm in the Akins Auditorium
- Akins High School Wind Symphony and Orchestra @ The Akins High School African American Heritage Celebration
- Thursday, February 26th at 6:30pm in the Akins Auditorium
On Saturday, February 21st, students from the Akins Band participated in the UIL Region 18 Solo & Ensemble contest at Bowie High School. Some highlights of the day were:
- 110 Akins band students participated in the contest by playing a solo. (This is up from 40 in 2013 and up from 70 in 2014!)
- 56 students received a “Superior” First Division rating on their solo performance.
- 44 students also participated in one of 10 ensemble performances.
- 7 of those ensembles received a “Superior” First Division rating.
The following students advanced to the Texas State UIL Solo & Ensemble Contest:
- Zachary Finney - Alto Saxophone
- Anissa Martinez - Mallet Keyboard
- Aaron McInnes - Snare Drum
- Kenny Painter - Mallet Keyboard
- Ariana Rodriguez - Euphonium
- Abigail Stanfield - French Horn
- Nick Suydam - Tuba
- Adam Rios - Snare Drum
- Eric Trejo - Mallet Keyboard
- Christopher Tristan - Mallet Keyboard
The following ensembles advanced to the Texas State UIL Solo & Ensemble Contest:
- Saxophone Quartet
- Luis Bosquez
- John Fahlund
- Jason Loosle
- Boulder Sheffield
- French Horn Quartet
- Robert Arocha
- Isabella Luna
- Jonathan Marquez
- Jonatan Salinas
- Trombone Quartet
- Gerardo Batarse
- Kendrick Mack
- Ryan Nelson
- Vitaly Vogelman
- Percussion Ensemble
- Madeline Chadie
- Anissa Martinez
- Adam Rios
- Dallas Styles
- Christopher Tristan
- Hector Vargas
- Christopher Velasquez
- Percussion Ensemble
- Devyn McClain
- Aaron McInnes
- Kenny Painter
- Eric Yarbrough
Congratulations to all students who represented the Akins Eagle Band with class and excellence!
- Wind Symphony - 4:30pm to 7:00pm in Band Hall
- Symphonic Band - 4:30pm to 6:30pm in Choir Room
- Junor Varsity Winterguard - 4:30 to 6:30pm in Cafeteria
The Akins Band wants to reconnect with you!
If you are an Akins Band Alumnus, please click here and fill out a form to receive updates regarding Akins Band performances and events.
The current edition of the Akins Band would not be possible without those that came before, and we want you to be a part of our future! Our goal is to create an active and thriving Akins Band Alumni Network that not only encourages, supports, and enjoys the performances of the current Akins Band students, but is also proud to smile, take a step back, and say… I helped build that!
Austin ISD is operating on a two hour delay for Tuesday, Feburary 24th.
All band sectionals, lessons, listening sessions, etc. are canceled but WILL BE rescheduled at the discretion of the director and/or lesson teacher.